The history of Port Jefferson is fascinating! Port Jefferson was orginally called Drowned Meadow because the area was tidal and was “drowned” by the tide twice a day. East Main Street followed the edge of the salt marsh, and was the original “Main Street”. The Villagers voted to change its name to Port Jefferson in 1836. The Village was the largest shipbuilding center in Suffolk Country in the 1800’s with four of every ten ships built here. The Village was incorporated in 1963.
In 2005 Port Jefferson opened its Village Center. The Village Center is built on the site of the Old Bayles Shipyward, which dates from the wooden ship era beginning in 1797. The original steel building housed the Wedekind Sailmakers for thirty years. Tremendous care was taken in the restoration to retain many of the original architechtural elements. The Village Center now houses the offices of the Port Jefferson Recreation and Parks Department on the second floor. The Center is primarily for community and cultural events. There’s always something taking place, like concerts, classes, art shows, car shows. Annual events such as the Green Festival, the Taste of Port Jefferson, Health and Wellness, and the annual Antiques & Garden show are only but a few of the wonderful leisure-time activities at the Center. From November thru March, you can ice skate at The Rinx while taking in the view of the Long Island Sound.
You can check out the Village’s Calendar of events at:
Antique Homes In Port Jefferson
Information Copyright 2017, Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc. All rights reserved.
The source of the displayed data is either the property owner or public record provided by non-governmental third parties. It is believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use. The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.
MLSLI DMCA Notice